What is Mobile Backend as a Service mBaaS?
Mobile Backend as a Service, sometimes also called mBaaS for short, this is the easily and efficiently way to build mobile and web applications. On a standard backend platform it lets you easily link applications to back end cloud storage and APIs exposed by existing business applications. It also is the best way to integrate features such as push notification services into your mobile app.
Although not as well known as platform as a service (PaaS) or infrastructure as a service (IaaS) technologies, mBaaS, is now recognised as the standard platform for specialist mobile app developers and development studios.
How does an Mobile Backend as a Service work?
A typical App build can be split onto two main components –
- Client Side (front end)
- Server side (back end).
Client side focuses on what the user sees on screen, the rich UI and the user experience.
Server side – where the mBaaS sits, breaks into two main parts
- business logic of the application (combination of business rules and workflows)
- data processing & management (file storage, users, persistent data etc)
Separating out the business logic from the data processing code is the best approach. It makes it easier to re-use data processing code, so it becomes generic, can be packaged up as reusable micro services and can be used by any client-server application. So functions such as user logins, file uploads, geolocation services, push notifications could be the same regardless of what the application does.
Building the business logic on top of data processing component lets the app use the underlying data the way the client side of the application needs it to work serving it up into the GUI layer to deliver the rich in app experience. It also can make it easier to edit and maintain when you want to make minor changes to the business logic without touching the data processing and management layer.
To consume the backend services the client side application connects through an Application Prototype Interface or API. Typically you’d use pre-packaged API formats for particular client types. Typical these are packaged as native client libraries (sometimes also called Software Development Kits – SDK’s) for developers to access to the backend API’s.
This way developers can shorten the development process, make maintenance easier and build apps the smart way where complex server side code can be packaged up and reused on other app projects.
The big advantage of building apps on mBaaS are
- Huge reduction in time and effort to configure and maintain a bespoke backend – letting you build apps faster (some say 40-60% faster) than if no mBaaS is used.
- Keeping App Development focused on a rich engaging in-app experience rather than managing a cloud backend.
- Lower maintenance costs – no backend infrastructure to manage, maintain and upgrade as you app use grows
- mBaaS gives you a standardised backend. This means its easier for you to scale. Future app builds are easier and cheaper to maintain.
- Management is easier with one pane of glass. Multi-tenant backends (such as Kumulos) means all your apps run on one platform
- Better in app analytics – because your mBaaS manages API traffic to and from your app its the best place to analyse what’s happening within your app; who is active and who is most engaged.
- Less Cost – not just the cost to build but ongoing running costs are more predictable.
Kumulos is a multi-tenant, low cost, easy to use mBaaS built by app developers, for app developers.
We take a way the heavy lifting around building and managing the server-side components of your your mobile app build, so you focus on what’s important, giving your customers an awesome in-app experience.